Postgraduate Funding

Postgraduate Loans

Prospective postgraduate taught (Masters) students are able to apply for government-backed loans of up to £10,280 for Masters students.

In the 2017 Spring Budget the government announced that doctoral loans will be available for the academic year 2018/19.

For more information, click here.

Masters Funding

Keele offer a variety of bursaries and discounts to Masters students, which are listed below. To learn more of these awards, and to get more up to date information, please go here. It is also worth inquiring with your school if they have any potential bursaries as some schools have their own bursary schemes for their students. Alongside this, it can also be worth looking at other potential sources of funding outside of the University, which we list further down on this page.

Keele Alumni Discount

For 2018 entry (subject to Council approval) this is set to be a 20% on the tuition fee charged for Keele Alumni (UK/EU students). Students must be taking a taught postgraduate course at Keele University to at least 120 credits. The award will be offered on a pro-rata basis for some lower credit courses providing total credit study within the academic year exceeds 40 credits.

Keele Graduate Scholarship

This is a £500 tuition fee waiver for UK/EU students taking a taught postgraduate course at Keele University who attained first class honours in their first degree.

The Keele Access Scholarship

This is a £850 tuition fee waiver for UK/EU students for students from backgrounds with low participation in higher education who are taking a taught postgraduate course at Keele University. This award is aimed at supporting traditionally under-represented groups to progress on to graduate study at Keele.

You may be eligible for a scholarship if you live in an area of the UK from which very few students progress to higher education (officially defined as a Low Participation Neighbourhood). Check your area on our Access Scholarships – UK Postcode Checker.

You may also be eligible to receive a Keele Access Scholarship if you have declared that you have a disability on your application for postgraduate study at Keele.

Care Leavers and Estranged Students Bursary

This award offers a non-repayable bursary of £1000 per year to undergraduate and postgraduate taught students who have left the care of their local authority or are irreconcilably estranged from their families and meet the relevant eligibility criteria. Go here to learn more of the eligibility criteria.

This bursary will be awarded in addition to any other financial support or awards that students are entitled to from the University or your Local Authority.

PhD Funding

There are sources of funding support for PhD students, but they are highly competitive.  If you wish to pursue these you need to make sure you start your search for funding early, understand the options available to you, and learn the relevant procedures and closing dates.

More detailed information on funding opportunities for postgraduate students can be obtained from the Student Funding Office.

Student Funding Office
Tel: (+44) 01782 734240 (External)
733996 / 734087 (Internal)

There are also seven research councils that offer financial support to postgraduate students. The majority of the awards made by these councils are to students undertaking research degrees. Competition for research council funding is fierce, as the awards made provide cover for both fees and maintenance (though applicants from EU countries other than the UK may only be eligible to apply for assistance with fees). For more information about the research councils and the awards available, click here.


Keele University regularly offers a number of both internal studentships and external studentships provided by research bodies and industry, across all University disciplines.

To see a list of all currently available studentships and to apply, click here

Other Sources Of Funding

There are a number of organisations which sponsor students to study for a postgraduate degree. Some will make allocations to the University (and where Keele has such studentships to award they will be listed on the website). Others will require applications to the sponsor, either directly or via the University.

British Government Schemes for Overseas Students

Charities and Foundations

European Union Schemes

Science Without Borders